Calvary Sumter has been formed as a fellowship of believers in the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Our supreme desire is to know Christ and to be conformed into His image by the power of the Holy Spirit.
What we believe to be true is summed up greatly in the historic Apostle’s Creed.
We strive to be rooted in the Bible, grounded in the Gospel, and Centered in Christ. Below is a summary of the truths on which we stand:
- The Bible consisting of the Old and New Testament is the inspired and inerrant Word of God, the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
- There is one God, eternal and self-existing in three persons (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) who are to be equally loved, honored, and adored.
- All humanity has in some way broken God’s laws, is under His penalty of eternal death, and thus in need of His salvation.
- Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, the second Person of the Holy Trinity. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived a perfect life, died a sacrificial death on the cross to bear the punishment of God’s people, and physically rose again from the grave.
- Salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone in the person and finished work of Christ alone.
- The Holy Spirit gives new spiritual life to God’s people, empowers believers to strive for holiness, gives the church power to witness of the gospel, and works in believers to highlight and magnify Jesus Christ.
- The Church is the body of Christ, of whom He is the head, and it exists to glorify Him through worship, witness, service, and good works.
- The abundant life consists of worshiping God, walking before God, and witnessing of the gospel of God as an end in and of itself.
- The physical return and eternal rule of Jesus Christ.
A more thorough treatment of our Doctrinal Statement would be the historic 1858 Abstract of Principles found here through Southern Seminary.
AFFILIATIONS: We are affiliated and supported currently by the SC Baptist Convention, as well as church planters for the North American Mission Board, SEND North America Network and a training hub for New Breed Church Planting.